Well, it's up to the realtor now. Our house went up for sale this last Saturday.
According to Suzanne, our realtor, our home is "stylish and sophisticated". Neat! Hopefully any potential families who come through will agree. It's a scary process, really. After looking at the finances, we've discovered that we can't move on a new house until ours sells. We can't even get an apartment down there easily, the rents are almost as high as our current mortgage.
Which, is causing us some unease. Our family's already been split a bit. Holly's currently staying down in New Jersey with Mom-Mom. And unless the house sells by the end of next week - not likely in this economy and with the holidays coming, not to mention Sandy making her appearance - it looks like Matt will be moving out to Norwalk to live in company housing while I stay behind on my own. I'm not permitted to live in company housing with him, the apartment rents are high, and someone needs to stay here to maintain the house.
I think I'm taking this a little better than Matt is. My dad was in the Navy, so having our family separated for six months at a time is something I grew up with. It sucked, but it was also part of what our family defined as normal. But it's not normal for Matt and he's taking the idea a little hard.
I'm hoping the house moves quickly, but unfortunately a lot of people want the equivalent of a McMansion at $20,000 less than we're selling our home for. In a way I can't blame them. Everyone wants the most bang for their buck, Matt and myself included. At the same time, you need to be realistic about things. A number of people seem to forget about that part.
Still, there's nothing to be done except wait for the right person to come along. There's someone out there who will love and care for our home. Suzanne seems really good at what she does, so I'm sure given time she'll find the right person.
The next few days will involve waiting out Sandy, followed by Matt and myself humping boxes down into the basement. The office upstairs and my studio have become storage spaces, making them look smaller than they actually are. Not to mention cluttered and a little precarious to walk through. So, we're going to relocate the storage to the basement, reset up the studio a bit so I can get back to work, and pack most of the office down so Matt can take what he'll need with him. We've an open house this Sunday, so we'd like to have everything ready before then.
In the meantime, I'm hovering around areas where I can keep my cellphone plugged in - it hasn't been holding a charge lately. I need to be ready to scoot out of the house in case someone wants to walk through. Though with the storm moving in, the chances of anyone wanting to house hunt today is probably pretty slim. The wind is already impressive. I went out this morning to move a decoration attached to the side of the house out to the shed before it could blow off and ended up being blown about myself! And it's just beginning! So, with that in mind, I'm going to shut things off up here and head downstairs to wait for Matt to come home.
Good luck and stay safe everyone!
"If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes."
-- Mark Twain